While iPhones are less susceptible to malware and viruses compared to other platforms like Android, an antivirus app can still provide some useful protections. Key benefits of using an antivirus on iPhone include:
- Scanning apps, files, and links for threats
- Blocking access to malicious websites
- Providing an extra layer of defense against phishing attacks
- Locating a lost or stolen device
- Backing up data and photos
So while an antivirus isn’t an absolute necessity, it can be a helpful extra layer of security for iPhone users concerned about malware and network-based threats. The top antivirus apps for iOS include options like Bitdefender Mobile Security, Norton Mobile Security, Avast Mobile Security, and TotalAV.
How real is the threat of malware on iPhones?
The iOS platform has historically been more secure than Android and less targeted by malware developers. There are a few key reasons for this:
- Apple’s walled garden approach limits app installation from trusted sources like the App Store
- App sandboxing restricts app access to other parts of the OS
- Apple’s code signing and other system protections make it harder for malware to execute
- iOS has a smaller market share than Android, making it a less tempting target
However, while rare, malware and virus outbreaks on iOS have happened before:
- A Trojan called Find and Call masqueraded as a Find My iPhone app in 2012 before being removed from the App Store
- XcodeGhost infected thousands of apps in 2015 by spreading through a tampered version of Xcode
- The YiSpecter malware in 2015 abused enterprise certificate permissions to spread across iOS devices
- A new piece of iOS spyware called Exodus was uncovered in 2022
The threat landscape can also evolve quickly, and social engineering via phishing remains a common vector for malware on any platform. So while full-blown virus epidemics are unlikely on iOS, it’s incorrect to say iPhones are completely immune to malware.
What can a mobile antivirus do for an iPhone?
Here are some of the core security features offered by antivirus apps on iOS:
- Malware scanning – Antivirus apps scan apps, files, websites, and other content for malware signatures or suspicious behavior. This can detect known and zero-day threats.
- Network protection – Traffic and connections are scanned to block access to malicious IPs, phishing sites, and other network-based threats.
- Loss and theft support – If an iPhone is lost or stolen, antivirus tools can locate it, lock it, wipe data, and more.
- Backups – Important data, files, and photos are backed up securely online in case of device loss.
- Performance optimization – Antivirus apps clean up junk files and browser data to free up space and improve speed.
- Safe web browsing – Web filtering blocks unsafe sites, while browser extensions provide phishing and malware protection.
- Alerts – Users receive timely alerts about detected threats, attempted intrusions, and other concerning activity.
So while an antivirus may not be scanning for viruses in the traditional sense, they still provide an extra set of tools to protect iOS devices and user data against evolving online threats.
Are there any downsides to using antivirus software on an iPhone?
There are a few potential downsides to running antivirus apps on iOS devices:
- Many free antivirus apps are ad-supported, which can impact performance and user experience.
- Background scanning and traffic filtering can occasionally reduce battery life and device speeds.
- False positives may flag legitimate apps or websites as unsafe.
- Apps require privacy permissions and access to usage analytics data.
- There are redundant protections already built into iOS for app vetting, sandboxing, encryption, etc.
However, paid premium antivirus products generally have minimal impact on battery and device performance. Reputable vendors also have low false positive rates in their threat detection engines.
Should I use a free or paid antivirus for iPhone?
Many top antivirus apps offer both free and paid versions:
|Free version||Paid version|
Here are some factors to consider when deciding between free vs paid:
- Free options provide decent basic protections for the average user.
- Paid upgrades offer enhanced tools and are worthwhile for users handling more sensitive data.
- Premium versions minimize ads and performance impact.
- Subscriptions can include support for multiple devices.
Evaluate whether you really need the expanded feature set of the paid upgrade based on your personal risk profile and use habits. Many users, especially those practicing good security habits already, can get by just fine with a free iOS antivirus tool.
Can’t I just use built-in iOS protections like Face ID instead?
It’s true that iPhones come with robust default security features like:
- Face ID and passcode encryption
- iOS app vetting and sandboxing
- Advanced on-device machine learning
- VPN support
- Regular software updates
However, antivirus apps provide extra protections that iOS lacks in certain areas:
So antivirus apps complement the native iOS defenses rather than replacing them entirely. Think of them as an extra set of security tools on top of Apple’s platform protections.
Top free antivirus apps for iPhone
Here is a comparison of some of the top free iOS antivirus tools:
All provide the essential protections like malware scanning, web filtering, and system cleanup. Malwarebytes stands out for its enhanced malware intelligence. TotalAV offers a wider range of optimization and privacy features. And AVG provides well-balanced protection for free.
Top paid antivirus apps for iPhone
Here are some of the top paid or premium antivirus solutions for iOS:
|McAfee Mobile Security||
Norton 360 is a market leader with comprehensive protections. McAfee stands out for privacy tools and secure browsing. And Lookout offers advanced phishing AI and anti-theft features.
What’s the best free antivirus for iPhone in 2022?
Based on its malware detection rate, extra features, and minimal impact on system performance, AVG Antivirus is likely the best free iPhone antivirus app as of 2022.
Key advantages of AVG Antivirus:
- Consistently high malware detection rates in independent tests
- Minimal drain on battery life or system resources
- Web Shield blocks dangerous sites and attachments
- App Lock boosts privacy by locking down apps
- Photo Vault provides encrypted storage for photos
With reliable protections and a lightweight footprint, AVG Antivirus provides tremendous value at no cost. Bitdefender and TotalAV also offer competitive free iOS antivirus tools. But AVG strikes the best balance with robust core defenses in a streamlined feature set.
What’s the best paid antivirus for iPhones in 2022?
For paid iOS antivirus apps, Norton 360 is a top choice in 2022 based on its industry-leading protections:
Key advantages of Norton 360:
- Introduces new anti-virus engine with advanced AI in 2022
- Dark Web Monitoring alerts on exposed credentials
- Cloud backup provides 50GB of storage
- Powerful antitheft tools like remote locking
- Minimal impact on battery or system performance
Norton 360 also provides great value by supporting protection across multiple devices. Other great options for paid iOS protection include McAfee Mobile Security and Bitdefender Mobile Security. But Norton 360 takes the top spot for malware detection and prestige in security circles.
Do I really need antivirus on my iPhone?
Here are some guidelines to consider in deciding if you need dedicated antivirus protection on your iPhone:
- If you primarily use your device for calls, texts, email, and social media, the built-in iOS protections are likely sufficient.
- If you proactively avoid suspicious links, unexpected attachments, and unverified apps, your risk is lower.
- Users who rely on their iPhone for work, finances, or sensitive data have more to lose from malware or hijacking.
- Travelers and public WiFi users benefit from the network security protections of an antivirus.
- An antivirus provides peace of mind for those wary about iOS threats, however rare.
So while not strictly mandatory, an iOS antivirus can be a worthwhile supplement for security-conscious users handling sensitive data and activities on their iPhone. At a minimum, a top-rated free option like AVG Antivirus is recommended to cover the basics.
Can antivirus apps do harm on iPhones?
There are a few risks to be aware of with iOS antivirus apps:
- Battery life may take a hit from constant background scanning.
- Performance could slow down, especially on older model iPhones.
- Buggy or unstable apps may freeze or crash your device.
- Subpar products actually expose you to more risk.
- Overzealous tools lead to false positives and unnecessary alerts.
However, these issues are largely avoided by sticking with established, reputable antivirus vendors with a long track record protecting iOS users. Leading options like AVG, Norton, and others have optimized their software to minimize battery drain and maximize Apple device stability.
Antivirus basics: What to know before installing on iPhone
Here are some key tips to keep in mind before installing antivirus software on your iPhone:
- Only download apps from the Apple App Store, never third-party sources.
- Check reviews and confirm the vendor is reputable.
- Watch out for unwanted subscriptions after free trial expires.
- Make sure the app doesn’t override useful default iPhone settings.
- Look for apps purpose-built for iOS, not just ports from Android.
- Consider both your personal risk profile and iPhone usage habits.
The top performers like Norton and AVG are purpose-built for iOS and exceedingly careful about device resources and App Store regulations. With a little bit of due diligence, you can find an antivirus app tailored to your unique iPhone needs.
iPhone antivirus FAQs
Is Apple’s iOS really that much more secure than Android?
Yes – the closed nature of iOS makes it much tougher for malware developers to bypass Apple’s vetting and distribute malicious code. Android’s open platform model is inherently more vulnerable.
Do jailbroken iPhones need antivirus protection?
Absolutely – jailbreaking bypasses many of Apple’s security controls, so an antivirus provides critical protection in that scenario.
How can antivirus help protect my privacy on iPhone?
Antivirus tools like app locks, data backups, VPNs, safe browsing, and identity monitoring all help safeguard sensitive user info.
Will an iPhone antivirus catch phishing scams and spam calls?
Top products block phishing sites/links and use call blacklists and other tools to stop scam calls. So they provide significant phishing protection.
Does MacAfee make a good iOS antivirus app?
Yes, McAfee Mobile Security offers excellent malware detection and unique features like call blocking, encrypted photo vaults, vulnerability scans, and more.
The bottom line
While iPhones already provide robust built-in security, antivirus apps offer an additional layer of protection – especially for users handling sensitive activities and data on their device. Top antivirus apps for iPhone provide malware scanning, network protections, backup tools, theft recovery, and privacy features to complement the native protections of iOS.
Leading free options like AVG and TotalAV offer solid protection at no cost. And premium tools like Norton 360 justify the investment for users seeking maximum security. While not universally necessary, antivirus apps continue to fill key gaps in iPhone’s defenses against evolving digital threats.