With the rising popularity of smartphones like iPhones, cybersecurity threats have also increased. Malware, spyware and other malicious programs can infect phones and steal personal data or spy on users. Thankfully, there are apps available that can scan an iPhone for malware and other security risks.
Why do iPhones need malware scanning?
While iPhones are generally more secure than Android devices, they are still vulnerable to malware and hacking attempts. Some reasons why iPhones can get malware include:
- Visiting compromised websites – Malicious sites can install malware through browser exploits or by tricking users into downloading infected files
- Sideloading unauthorized apps – Apps from outside the App Store may contain malware or spyware
- Phishing attacks – Malicious links sent via SMS, email or chat apps can lead to malware
- Public WiFi networks – Unsecured networks allow cybercriminals to spy on traffic and install malware
- Jailbroken devices – The security protections are disabled on jailbroken devices, making them more prone to malware
Additionally, the increasing use of iPhones for activities like online shopping, banking and storing sensitive information makes them an attractive target for cybercriminals.
Types of security threats that can impact iPhones
Some common types of malware and cyber threats that can affect iPhones include:
Spyware secretly monitors your activities on the device, tracks location, records calls and messages, accesses camera and contacts, etc. They can steal personal information like logins, passwords and bank details.
Adware displays intrusive ads and pop-ups. It affects system performance and can be tricky to remove.
Ransomware encrypts data on the device and demands payment for decryption. iOS ransomware is rare but especially dangerous.
A botnet takes control of the device to use it for malicious activities like distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks or cryptocurrency mining without the user’s knowledge.
Trojans masquerade as legitimate apps but carry malicious payloads. They can delete data, steal credentials and take control of certain functions.
Rootkits gain root access to the operating system allowing them to fully control the device, while concealing their presence from normal detection methods.
Top anti-malware apps for iPhones
Here are some of the top and most reliable anti-malware apps for iPhones:
Bitdefender Mobile Security
Bitdefender provides excellent all-round protection against existing and emerging mobile threats. It has anti-malware, anti-phishing, safe web browsing, privacy audit, and other protections.
Norton Mobile Security
Trusted antivirus brand Norton offers malware scanning, real-time threat monitoring, a VPN, and WiFi security features. It also has phone locator and call blocking functionalities.
Avast Mobile Security
Avast protects against viruses, malware, spyware, network threats, phishing, loss and theft of device. Extra features include a firewall, call blocker, app privacy inspector, etc.
McAfee Mobile Security
McAfee has device-to-cloud malware analysis with in-depth threat scanning. Provides web protection, app privacy audit, WiFi and network protection. Compatible with iOS and Android.
Trend Micro Mobile Security
Trend Micro offers all-in-one mobile protection with features like web, network and social media protection, system tune-up, junk cleaner, battery optimizer and more.
Lookout Mobile Security
Lookout uses cutting-edge AI and machine learning technology to detect emerging threats. Provides malware and network protection, privacy audits, backups and identity theft monitoring.
|Bitdefender Mobile Security||Anti-malware, anti-phishing, safe browsing, privacy audit|
|Norton Mobile Security||Malware scanning, threat monitoring, VPN, WiFi security|
|Avast Mobile Security||Anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, call blocker, app privacy inspector|
|McAfee Mobile Security||Threat scanning, web/network protection, app privacy audit|
|Trend Micro Mobile Security||Web, network and social media protection, battery optimizer|
|Lookout Mobile Security||Emerging threat detection, malware protection, privacy audits|
Key factors to consider when choosing an iPhone anti-malware app
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting an anti-malware app for your iPhone:
The ability to accurately detect various forms of malware and offer maximum protection against cyber threats.
The app should provide security without slowing down your iPhone’s performance or draining the battery life.
It should have an intuitive and easy-to-use interface for scanning the device and managing security functions.
Continuous monitoring and instant detection of threats is important for fully securing the iPhone.
Added security tools like firewalls, call blockers, junk cleaners, battery optimizers, etc. provide all-round protection.
Timely and helpful customer assistance in case of any issues when using the app.
Paid apps can cost anywhere from $2 to $50 annually. Choose one that fits your budget.
Steps to scan your iPhone for malware using anti-malware apps
Scanning your iPhone regularly using a trusted anti-malware app can help detect and remove any cyber threats. Follow these steps:
- Download and install the anti-malware app from the App Store.
- Register an account if required and provide necessary permissions.
- Allow the app to download the latest malware definitions and security databases.
- Initiate a manual scan as per the app’s instructions. The full system scan checks all files and apps.
- The app will notify you if any threats are detected. Follow on-screen instructions to clean infections.
- View detailed scan reports about malware detected, files affected, and actions taken.
- Enable real-time protection and automatic wireless scans for continuous security.
- Schedule regular system scans as frequently as needed depending on your risk level.
Precautions to take to avoid iPhone malware
Along with using a malware scanning app, here are some precautions you can take to minimize the risk of malware infection:
- Keep your iPhone updated with the latest iOS version.
- Download apps only from the official App Store.
- Avoid jailbreaking your device as it disables security features.
- Don’t click suspicious links in emails, messages, websites.
- Use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication.
- Back up your data regularly on iTunes or iCloud.
- Use a VPN for better privacy when on public networks.
- Be cautious of public charging stations as they can infect your phone.
Malware and cyberattacks on iPhones are rising as users store more sensitive personal and financial data on their devices. Installing a trusted mobile security app like Bitdefender, Norton or Avast can effectively scan for and eliminate existing and emerging threats.
Additionally, exercising caution while downloading apps or clicking links can help prevent malware in the first place. Using complex passcodes, updating iOS regularly, avoiding public networks, and backing up data are other ways to boost iPhone security against malware.
Activating real-time protection in anti-malware apps provides constant monitoring and instant detection of malware before they can cause damage. With robust mobile security software and safe usage habits, users can protect their iPhones and data from evolving cyber threats.