The short answer is yes, most Motorola Droid phones do support the use of SD cards to expand storage capacity. Modern Motorola Droid phones like the Droid Turbo 2, Droid Maxx 2, and Droid Ultra are compatible with microSD cards up to 128GB in capacity. Older models like the original Droid and Droid X also had SD card slots. Let’s take a more in-depth look at SD card support across Motorola Droid models.
SD Card Support on Original Motorola Droid Phones
The first Motorola Droid phone was released in 2009 exclusively for Verizon. This original Droid phone shipped with Android 2.0 and had a microSD card slot that supported cards up to 32GB in capacity. So you could absolutely increase the storage by using an SD card on the original Droid.
The original Motorola Droid had 512MB of internal storage, so adding a 32GB microSD card dramatically increased the storage capacity. This allowed Droid owners to store much more music, photos, videos, apps, and files on their phone.
Other early Droid models like the Motorola Droid X (2010), Droid Pro (2010), Droid 2 (2010), Droid 2 Global (2010), and Droid 3 (2011) also came equipped with microSD card slots and were compatible with SD cards up to 32GB.
SD Card Support on Droid RAZR Smartphones
Motorola released their first Droid RAZR phone in 2011, introducing a slimmer and lighter design. The original Droid RAZR supported microSD cards up to 32GB. The Droid RAZR Maxx and Droid RAZR MAXX HD also had microSD card slots with support for cards up to 32GB.
One exception was the Motorola Droid RAZR M which had only 8GB of internal storage but no microSD card slot for expansion. All other RAZR models like the Droid RAZR HD and Droid RAZR M supported SD card expansion.
SD Card Support on Droid Ultra, Mini, and Maxx
Motorola launched a new series of Droid phones in 2013 including the Ultra, Mini, and Maxx. All three models contained microSD card slots that supported cards up to 64GB for storage expansion.
The Droid Mini had the least amount of internal storage at 16GB. The Droid Ultra had 32GB, while the Maxx had 64GB built-in. But all three could increase storage by up to 64GB via the SD card slot.
SD Card Support on Droid Turbo and Turbo 2
The original Droid Turbo launched in 2014 with 32GB or 64GB of storage, and included a microSD slot for cards up to 64GB. The Droid Turbo 2 released in 2015 offered the same internal storage options and SD card support up to 128GB.
So both the Turbo and Turbo 2 allow you to dramatically increase the storage through a microSD card. You can boost it from 32GB up to 192GB on the Turbo, and up to 256GB on the Turbo 2 if you use a 128GB card.
SD Card Support on Moto Z Droid and Z Force Droid
Motorola’s Droid editions of the Moto Z and Moto Z Force launched in 2016, and both phones supported microSD storage expansion up to 256GB. However neither phone actually had a microSD card slot.
Instead, they supported Motorola’s Moto Mods system of magnetically attaching modules to add functionality. A Moto Mod storage attachment with SD card slot could be connected to add more storage capacity.
Without the Mod attached, the Moto Z Droid and Z Force Droid had 32GB or 64GB of internal storage but no SD card slot. The Mod expanded storage up to 256GB.
SD Card Support on Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo 2
The Droid Maxx 2 and Droid Turbo 2 were both released in 2016. Both phones supported microSD cards up to 128GB in capacity.
The Maxx 2 launched with 32GB or 64GB of storage, while the Turbo 2 had 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB internal storage. So adding a 128GB SD card allowed you to boost the storage up to 256GB on the Maxx 2 or a full 512GB on the Turbo 2.
Summary of SD Card Support on Motorola Droid Phones
To quickly summarize SD card support across Motorola Droid models:
- Original Droid and early Droid models supported SD cards up to 32GB
- Droid RAZR phones supported SD cards up to 32GB
- Droid Ultra/Mini/Maxx supported SD cards up to 64GB
- Droid Turbo and Turbo 2 supported SD cards up to 128GB
- Moto Z Droids required a Mod to add SD card support up to 256GB
- Droid Maxx 2 and Turbo 2 supported SD cards up to 128GB
So in summary, the majority of Motorola Droid phones do allow you to increase storage via a microSD card slot, with support for cards ranging from 32GB up to 128GB in capacity on newer models.
Benefits of Using SD Card Storage on Droid Phones
There are several benefits to using an SD card with your Motorola Droid phone:
- Store more photos and videos – Recording 4K video especially eats up storage quickly. An SD card lets you store vastly more media content.
- Keep more music – Songs, playlists, and podcasts can fill up internal storage. An SD card lets you carry more audio files.
- Install more apps – Apps and games take up storage space. An SD card provides room for more app installs.
- Back up data – You can back up your contacts, system settings, and other data to the SD card.
- Transfer content between devices – An SD card makes it easy to transfer files from your Droid to a computer, tablet, or other phones.
So if you find the internal storage on your Motorola Droid limiting, installing a microSD card can be a great way to expand the usable storage space on your phone.
Tips for Using SD Card Storage on Droid Phones
If you are going to use SD card storage with your Motorola Droid phone, keep these tips in mind:
- Get the fastest SD card type your phone supports – Look for Class 10, UHS-1, or A1 rated cards for best performance.
- Regularly backup your SD card – Copy your photos, videos, and other files off the card to protect that data.
- Use your SD for media, not apps – Store music, photos, videos on the card. Leave apps on internal storage for optimal speed.
- Check card health – Periodically scan your SD card for errors to make sure it is still functioning properly.
- Eject the card before removal – Use your phone’s Storage settings to eject the SD card before physically removing it.
- Format the card if having issues – If your SD card is having errors, format it on your phone to repair file system issues.
Following these tips will help ensure you have the best experience using SD card storage to expand the capacity of your Motorola Droid phone.
Frequently Asked Questions about Droid Phones and SD Cards
What size SD card does the Motorola Droid take?
Most Motorola Droid phones support microSD cards up to at least 32GB. Newer models support up to 128GB or even 256GB SD cards.
Does the original Motorola Droid use SD cards?
Yes, the very first Motorola Droid phone from 2009 supported microSD cards up to 32GB in size.
Can a Droid RAZR use a 64GB SD card?
No, the Droid RAZR and RAZR Maxx only support SD cards up to 32GB in capacity.
Do Droid Ultra/Mini/Maxx phones take 128GB SD cards?
No, the Ultra/Mini/Maxx series only support SD cards up to 64GB in size.
What SD cards work with Moto Z Droid phones?
Moto Z Droids require a Moto Mod attachment with SD card slot to add external storage up to 256GB.
|Max SD Card Capacity
|Moto Z Droid
|256GB (with Mod)
|Droid Maxx 2
Should I store apps on SD card or internal storage?
It is better to leave apps installed on your Droid’s internal storage for optimal performance. Use the SD card primarily for your media files like photos, videos, and music.
In conclusion, the majority of Motorola Droid phones support microSD cards to expand storage capacity. From the original Droid in 2009 to the latest models like the Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Maxx 2, most Droids can take SD cards up to 128GB.
Using an SD card on your Droid is a great way to store more photos, videos, music, apps, and files. Just be sure to buy a compatible high speed SD card, follow proper usage guidelines, and regularly back up your card’s data. With the right microSD card added, a Droid phone can have upwards of half a terabyte of storage capacity.