If you’ve forgotten the passcode on your iPhone 6, there are a few options for bypassing the lock screen and gaining access to your device again:
- Enter your Apple ID and password – This will reset the device and allow you to create a new passcode.
- Use iCloud to erase the device – Remotely wiping the device will allow you to set it up as new.
- Put the device into recovery mode and restore – This will wipe the device and install the latest OS.
- Take it to an Apple store – They can unlock the device for you if you can prove ownership.
- Use a lock screen removal app – Special software can bypass the lock screen in some cases.
- Hire a mobile repair service – Some services offer iPhone lock screen removal.
The easiest options are to use your Apple ID credentials or iCloud erase if you still have access to the associated accounts. Fully restoring the device through recovery mode will work as well. Professional unlock services or mobile repair shops can also unlock it for a fee.
Forgotten Passcode Situations
There are a few common situations in which you may find yourself locked out of your iPhone 6 due to a forgotten passcode:
- You set a passcode a while back and simply forgot it over time
- Your device requires the passcode after rebooting and you don’t remember setting one
- Your child or someone else set a passcode without your knowledge
- You changed the passcode while distracted and forgot the new code
No matter how you ended up in this predicament, the end result is being locked out of your own iPhone. But don’t worry – there are still multiple ways to get back into a locked iPhone and reset the passcode so you can use the device again.
Bypassing Lock Screen with Apple ID
The easiest way to regain access to your locked iPhone 6 is to enter your Apple ID credentials on the lock screen. Here are the steps:
- On the Enter Passcode screen, tap Forgot Passcode or swipe across the bottom of the screen.
- Enter your Apple ID email when prompted.
- Enter your Apple ID password.
- You will be asked some security questions to confirm your identity.
- Once verified, you can create a new passcode to use the device.
This quickly resets the passcode without losing any data. It works as long as you still have access to the Apple ID originally associated with the device. Make sure you know the password before attempting this method.
Erasing iPhone 6 with iCloud
You can also use iCloud to remotely wipe your iPhone 6 when locked out, which will allow you to start fresh. Follow these steps:
- On a computer or another iOS device, visit www.icloud.com and login to your iCloud account.
- Click Find my iPhone.
- Select your locked iPhone from the list of devices.
- Tap Erase iPhone at the bottom of the screen and confirm.
- Once wiped, your device will be unlocked and ready to be set up again.
This completely resets your iPhone 6 to factory settings, erasing all on-device data in the process. Make absolutely sure your important data is backed up before wiping with iCloud.
Using Recovery Mode to Wipe and Restore
You can also regain access by connecting the locked iPhone 6 to a computer and force restarting into recovery mode. Here is the process:
- Connect your iPhone 6 to a computer via a Lightning cable.
- Force restart the iPhone – hold the Power and Home buttons for 10+ seconds until you see the recovery mode screen.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- iTunes will recognize the device in recovery mode and provide restoration options.
- Click Restore and wait for the process to complete.
- The device will restart unlocked and ready to be set up again.
Recovery mode is a low-level state that allows full restoration of iOS. Like the iCloud erase method, this will wipe your device completely clean before unlocking it.
Getting Professional Help
If you need to regain access to your locked iPhone but want to avoid wiping the device, professional help is available:
- Apple Store – Make a Genius Bar appointment and an Apple employee can unlock your iPhone 6. You may need proof of ownership.
- Mobile Repair Shops – Many independent mobile repair technicians can now safely perform lock screen removal on iPhones.
- Mail-In Services – Some companies focus specifically on iPhone data recovery and lock removal by mail.
These professional services typically use advanced software or hardware techniques to hack into the device and reset the passcode for you. This allows recovering data that would be erased with the reset methods.
Bypassing with Unlock Software
Specialized lock removal apps and programs exist that can bypass the iPhone’s lock screen:
- Tenorshare 4uKey – Unlock screen and remove Apple ID without data loss.
- iMyFone LockWiper – Reset passcode without erasing iPhone.
- dr.fone – iPhone unlock and recovery software for PC or Mac.
Software unlock methods are hit-or-miss, depending on the iPhone model and iOS version. The latest versions of iOS make software unlocks very difficult. Only advanced solutions may work, often requiring jailbreaking.
Preventing Future Lock Outs
Once you get back into your iPhone, there are ways to avoid forgetting the passcode again:
- Write down or save the new passcode somewhere safe.
- Set up Touch ID or Face ID to supplement the passcode.
- Use a numeric passcode rather than a complex one.
- Enable USB restricted mode in settings.
- Update to the latest iOS for improved security.
- Use Apple’s suggested passcodes when prompted.
Ensuring you can always get back into the device is important in case you ever misplace that little piece of paper with your passcode written on it too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any way to view my iPhone data before unlocking it?
Unfortunately there is no way to view or extract data from a locked iPhone before bypassing the passcode. You would need access to unlock it first.
Can Siri help me bypass the lock screen?
Siri cannot unlock an iPhone or reveal the passcode. However, you can use Siri to make calls, send texts, play music, and more without unlocking.
Do these methods work on newer iPhones like the iPhone 8 or iPhone X?
The Apple ID and recovery mode restore methods work consistently all the way up to the latest devices. Software unlocks become less reliable with newer iOS versions.
Will I lose all my data if I restore through recovery mode?
Yes, restoring an iPhone through iTunes will wipe it completely clean. Be sure to have a current iCloud or iTunes backup you can restore from afterwards.
Can my mobile carrier unlock my device remotely?
No, carriers cannot bypass a passcode lock or unlock a locked iPhone remotely. You will need to use one of the methods outlined above.
Being locked out of your iPhone 6 due to a forgotten passcode can be frustrating. Thankfully, there are reliable DIY methods like using your Apple ID or wiping with iCloud/iTunes to get back in. Professional unlock services provide more options for recovering your data in the process. With some time and patience, you’ll be able to use your iPhone 6 again in no time.