Drobo is a data storage company that makes network attached storage (NAS) devices for consumers and businesses. The company was founded in 2005 and helped pioneer the concept of modular, expandable storage. Let’s take a closer look at Drobo to determine if they are still operating in 2023.
Drobo Company History
Drobo was founded in 2005 by Geoff Barrall and Jeff Smykil. The company is headquartered in San Jose, California and initially focused on making NAS devices for home users. Their first product, the DroboPro, launched in 2007 and offered unique features like the ability to hot-swap drives and expand capacity on the fly without any downtime.
Over the years, Drobo expanded their product line to serve small and medium businesses as well as enterprise customers. They released devices like the Drobo 5N that incorporated network connectivity and added more advanced features for business use. Drobo devices run the company’s proprietary BeyondRAID storage technology, which simplifies setup and protects data without traditional RAID complexity.
Some key milestones in Drobo’s history include:
- 2007 – DroboPro launched, their first NAS device
- 2009 – Release of DroboElite with iSCSI support for enterprises
- 2010 – Drobo S launched, their first storage device with optional SSD caching
- 2012 – Drobo 5D and 5N released, adding Thunderbolt and Ethernet connectivity
- 2015 – Fourth generation Drobo B800 released, their first with built-in network connectivity
In 2015, Drobo was acquired by Connected Data. This gave them more resources to develop new products to meet changing storage needs.
Drobo currently offers both desktop and rackmount NAS devices for a variety of use cases.
For home users, their main product is the Drobo 5N2. This 5-bay NAS includes Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, and USB ports for flexible connectivity. Drives can be added or hot-swapped as needed to expand storage capacity. Data protection is provided via BeyondRAID.
For businesses, Drobo offers the B810n NAS. This network-attached device has 8 drive bays and also incorporates BeyondRAID technology. It is geared for small and medium businesses looking for a reliable storage solution.
At the enterprise level, Drobo’s main product is the B1200. This 12-bay rackmount NAS includes robust connectivity with dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, dual power supplies, SSD cache, and extra RAM capacity. It is designed to provide enterprise-grade performance and reliability.
Drobo uses custom BeyondRAID storage technology across all their products instead of traditional RAID. This allows for flexible array expansion and drive swapping along with data protection.
Recent Drobo News and Developments
There have been a few recent news events and product launches that indicate Drobo is still actively operating as a company:
- March 2021 – Drobo announced an upgraded OS for their business NAS devices adding S3 object access and other new features.
- April 2021 – New network monitoring tools were added to Drobo’s DroboDashboard management software.
- July 2021 – Drobo revealed their Drobo 8D enterprise SAN/NAS hybrid device adding NVMe SSD support.
- March 2022 – The company released DroboDR, a new disaster recovery service for on-site and cloud backup.
- July 2022 – Drobo announced DroboFS, a new high-capacity filer NAS optimized for media workflows.
Based on these product updates and news announcements, it appears Drobo is still actively developing new solutions and evolving their product lineup as of late 2022/early 2023.
Drobo Stock and Financial Information
As a privately held company, Drobo does not have publicly traded stock or financial statements. They were an independent company until 2015 when they were acquired by Connected Data. Connected Data is also a private company owned by investment firm Western Digital Capital.
While exact financial details are not available, Drobo has stated in press releases they experienced double digit revenue growth in both 2020 and 2021. The additions of new products like the Drobo 8D in 2021 and DroboDR in 2022 also point to ongoing investment in R&D and new solution development.
The limited available financial information indicates Drobo remains a steadily operating business under its parent company Connected Data.
Drobo Website and Online Presence
Drobo maintains an active website at Drobo.com which was recently redesigned in 2021. The site includes extensive product details on current Drobo NAS devices for consumers, SMBs, and enterprises.
The company has active social media profiles providing ongoing updates on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Facebook. Drobo also operates an official blog with news announcements and storage insights.
Additionally, the Drobo online Support Center remains active with new knowledgebase articles added as recently as November 2022. The community forums also show recent posts by Drobo staff providing customer support.
The freshly updated website and continued online presence indicates Drobo remains an active company committed to supporting customers.
Drobo Reviews in 2022 and 2023
Recent reviews of new Drobo products further confirm the company is still operating and releasing new solutions:
- Tom’s Hardware – March 2022 review of Drobo 8D gave it an “Excellent” rating.
- Storage Review – April 2022 review of Drobo DR praised its “intuitive setup” and hybrid cloud backup capabilities.
- ZDNet – October 2022 review of Drobo FS highlighted excellent ease of use and performance for media workflows.
- TechRepublic – December 2022 hands-on review of Drobo 5N2 noted excellent data protection and expansion flexibility.
The ongoing product evaluations and reviews in late 2022 and early 2023 show Drobo is actively shipping new products that are well-received.
In summary, all evidence points to Drobo remaining in business and continuing to develop innovative storage solutions. Key points indicating ongoing Drobo operations include:
- New product launches in 2021 and 2022 like the Drobo 8D and DroboDR.
- Financial information showing double digit revenue growth in 2020 and 2021.
- Actively maintained website and social media presence.
- Continued technical support and community engagement.
- Favorable reviews of new Drobo NAS devices in late 2022 and 2023.
So in conclusion, despite being acquired in 2015, Drobo remains an active company and continues to be a leader in user-friendly external storage solutions for consumers and businesses.