Dell cloud disaster recovery refers to Dell’s solutions and services that help organizations protect their data and applications in the cloud from disruptions like natural disasters, cyber attacks, and hardware failures. Having a disaster recovery plan in place allows companies to quickly restore their systems and data in the event of an interruption so they can maintain business continuity.
What are the benefits of Dell cloud disaster recovery?
Some key benefits of Dell’s cloud disaster recovery solutions include:
- Minimized downtime – With automated failover capabilities, Dell can restore systems and data quickly in a disaster scenario to minimize disruption to operations.
- Flexibility – Dell offers both disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) through partner clouds and on-premises disaster recovery options to match different needs.
- Cost efficiency – DRaaS allows organizations to pay only for what they need instead of maintaining a secondary physical site.
- Testing – Disaster recovery plans can be tested and validated regularly without impacting production environments.
- Peace of mind – Comprehensive disaster recovery gives organizations confidence that their data and systems are protected.
What Dell cloud disaster recovery solutions are available?
Dell offers several cloud-based disaster recovery products and services:
Dell EMC PowerProtect DD Series Appliances
The Dell EMC PowerProtect DD Series are backup and recovery appliances that can replicate data to the cloud. They provide:
- Backup and disaster recovery in one appliance.
- Integration with public clouds like AWS, Azure, and VMware.
- Recovery point objectives (RPOs) of under 30 minutes.
- Up to 38PB capacity in a single appliance.
Dell EMC PowerProtect Cyber Recovery
This is a comprehensive data protection and recovery solution designed for cyber resilience. Key features:
- Isolates a clean vault of data in the cloud.
- Uses analytics to detect ransomware attacks.
- Provides granular recovery of individual files or datasets.
- Immutable cloud repository protects against wiping.
VMware Site Recovery
VMware Site Recovery provides simple, automated disaster recovery for VMware workloads. It offers:
- Automated orchestration and failover.
- Replication to public clouds, managed services providers, and colocation sites.
- Single interface to manage disaster recovery.
- Non-disruptive testing for validation.
Dell EMC Cloud Disaster Recovery
This fully managed DRaaS solution leverages Dell infrastructure but is hosted and managed by Dell. It includes:
- Hybrid and multi-cloud options.
- NAS storage for cost-effective backups.
- Backup vaulting to isolate data copies.
- DR orchestration and reporting.
How does Dell implement and manage cloud disaster recovery?
Dell utilizes a consultative approach to build tailored disaster recovery solutions for clients’ specific needs. Key steps in Dell’s cloud DR process include:
- Assessment – Dell meets with stakeholders to evaluate infrastructure, workloads, RTO/RPO targets, and business priorities.
- Design – Dell architects the DR solution, including replication methods, infrastructure, and failover processes.
- Implementation – The disaster recovery environment is deployed based on the chosen architecture.
- Validation – The solution is tested through simulations to ensure recoverability.
- Management – Dell provides ongoing monitoring, testing, and management services.
- Recovery – In a disaster, Dell executes failover processes and oversees restoration to normal operations.
Throughout this process, Dell provides advisory services to assist at every stage from planning through execution and maintenance.
What are some Dell cloud disaster recovery use cases?
Here are some examples of how organizations leverage Dell for cloud disaster recovery:
A hospital system with electronic medical records needs a way to quickly restore access for doctors if their EMR system goes down. They implement Dell Cloud Disaster Recovery with failover to a managed cloud provider.
Financial services company
A financial services firm requires disaster recovery for their trading and analytics platforms. They deploy Dell EMC PowerProtect DD to replicate data to AWS with a RPO under 1 hour.
Public sector agency
A public sector agency has hybrid infrastructure across on-premises and mulitple clouds. They use VMware Site Recovery for automated DR orchestration across this heterogeneous environment.
A retailer needs disaster recovery for their e-commerce platform and point-of-sale systems. They choose Dell EMC Cloud Disaster Recovery for its comprehensive managed services.
What are the technical requirements for implementing Dell cloud DR?
Dellcloud disaster recovery solutions support a wide range of environments. Some key technical requirements include:
- For Dell EMC PowerProtect DD Series – Compatible storage appliances like Dell EMC Data Domain or Integrated Data Protection Appliance.
- For VMware Site Recovery – vSphere virtualization on the protected machines and vCenter for management.
- For Dell EMC Cloud Disaster Recovery – Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services configuration for cloud backup targets.
- For PowerProtect Cyber Recovery – Installation of the Data Protection Suite and supporting software.
- Network infrastructure capable of handling replication traffic to the target DR site or cloud.
- Sufficient internet bandwidth for cloud-based replication and failover.
Dell partners closely with customers to assess their infrastructure and workloads to match them with the right technical DR solution.
How much does Dell cloud disaster recovery cost?
The cost of Dell cloud disaster recovery solutions varies based on several factors:
- Scope – The number of applications, servers, and data sets being protected.
- Recovery objectives – More aggressive RTO and RPOs require more infrastructure.
- Hosting model – DRaaS, colocation, or self-hosted options impact costs.
- Services – Adoption, consulting, and management services affect overall price.
- Duration – Short term or long term contract lengths change overall cost.
Given these variables, pricing is customized for each customer’s specific environment and requirements. Many Dell DR solutions are offered on a pay-as-you-go model to provide financial flexibility.
Sample Dell cloud DR cost estimates:
|Solution||Setup Fees||Monthly Cost|
|Dell EMC PowerProtect DD + AWS||$25,000||$4,000|
|VMware Site Recovery (100 VMs)||$50,000||$6,500|
|Dell EMC Cloud DRaaS||–||$12,000|
Exact pricing depends on the full scope, services, and SLA requirements. Dell provides quotes specific to each customer’s needs. Ongoing costs can also be adjusted as needs change.
What service level agreements are provided with Dell cloud DR?
Dell offers flexible service level agreements (SLAs) tailored to the availability, recovery, and performance needs of each customer’s workloads. Common SLA parameters offered by Dell include:
- Recovery time objective (RTO) – The duration to restore systems after an outage, such as 1-24 hours.
- Recovery point objective (RPO) – The maximum acceptable data loss, like 30 minutes.
- Availability – Such as 99.9% uptime guaranteed for the DR environment.
- Performance – Commitments related to bandwidth, latency, or transactions per second.
- Testing – Scheduled testing intervals to validate the DR plan, like 1x annually.
Dell works with organizations to tailor the right SLA agreements and metrics for their most critical workloads. More aggressive SLAs generally incur higher cost but reduce risk.
Dell Technologies provides a comprehensive suite of disaster recovery solutions for protecting data and applications in the cloud. By combining Dell infrastructure with managed cloud services, organizations gain an end-to-end capability to minimize downtime and ensure business continuity. Dell’s consultative approach and customized SLAs enable companies to implement cloud-based DR tailored to their unique requirements. With both proven technology and expert guidance, Dell empowers organizations to keep operations running even in the face of disruptive events.