Losing an album on Facebook can be incredibly frustrating, especially when it contains precious photos and memories. The good news is that there are a few different methods you can try to recover a deleted Facebook album.
Check the Trash
The first place to check when an album goes missing is the Trash folder. This is where deleted content goes before being permanently erased. To access the Trash:
- Go to your Facebook profile
- Click on the More dropdown menu (3 horizontal lines) in the top right corner
- Select Trash from the dropdown menu
You’ll then be taken to the Trash folder where you can browse deleted posts, photos, videos, and albums. If you find your missing album here, simply click the “Restore” button to put it back in your profile.
Use the Activity Log
If your album isn’t in the Trash, the next place to check is the Activity Log. This feature shows you a history of everything you’ve posted and any actions you’ve taken on Facebook.
To use the Activity Log to find a deleted album:
- Click on the arrow in the top right corner
- Select Activity Log from the dropdown menu
- Filter by Photos and Videos in the sidebar
- Browse your recent activity for any mention of deleting an album
The Activity Log will show you the name of the deleted album, the date it was deleted, and give you the option to recover it.
Facebook stores a backup of all your photos and albums at facebook.com/photos. Even if you delete an album, it may still be viewable here for a period of time.
To try finding your deleted album this way:
- Go to facebook.com/photos
- Filter the lefthand sidebar by Albums
- Browse all of your current and past albums for the missing one
- If found, open the album and save the photos before it gets removed
This method works best if the album was deleted very recently. Facebook will eventually remove the empty album backup entirely.
Check the Archive
Facebook introduced the Archive feature a few years ago as a way to store old posts and photos you’ve removed from your profile. Deleted albums often end up here as well.
To see if your album is in the Archive:
- Click the More dropdown menu
- Select Settings & Privacy
- Click Settings
- Click Your Facebook Information in the left sidebar
- Select View next to Photos and Videos
- Filter by Album Archive and browse for the deleted album
If you find the album here, you can recover and restore it to your profile just like in the other methods.
Use a Third Party Tool
If none of the previous self-service options have worked, your last resort may be to use a third party Facebook recovery tool. Services like Disk Drill and EaseUS MobiSaver for Facebook have specialized algorithms that can detect and restore deleted albums even when they are no longer visible.
To use one of these tools:
- Download and install the program onto your computer
- Connect your Facebook account
- Scan your account for deleted and lost data
- Preview and selectively restore any recoverable albums
These paid software tools represent your best chance of getting back an album that Facebook has permanently deleted from its server. Just make sure to only use reputable companies to avoid security risks.
Prevent Future Album Deletion
The easiest way to recover a deleted Facebook album is to make sure it never gets deleted in the first place. Here are some tips to prevent accidental deletion:
- Back up your photos regularly either on your computer or a cloud service
- Avoid hastily bulk deleting content when cleaning up Facebook
- Use the Recycle Bin feature to “soft delete” content just in case
- Enable two-factor authentication for extra security on your account
Taking preventative measures will save you the headache of desperately trying to recover albums in the future. Be thoughtful whenever permanently removing anything from Facebook.
Get Help from Facebook
If all else fails, you can try reaching out to Facebook directly for help recovering your deleted album. Send a request through the Help Center or contact Facebook support if your case meets their criteria for account issues. Make sure to provide as many details as possible, like:
- The name of the deleted album
- Approximate date it was deleted
- Number of photos it contained
- What you’ve tried to retrieve it
Keep in mind that Facebook is typically unable to restore albums deleted more than 3 months ago. But for a more recent deletion, their technical team may be able to locate album backups that aren’t accessible through normal account tools.
Recovering a deleted Facebook album often comes down to acting quickly and leveraging the right self-service account features. Check the Trash, Activity Log, Archive, and other backups before the album gets permanently erased. As a last resort, enlist data recovery software or contact Facebook support for aid. And implement preventative measures so you never have to wonder “how can I find my deleted album?” again!
|Method||How to Use||Success Rate|
|Trash Folder||Check Trash for recently deleted album||High if album just deleted|
|Activity Log||Browse for album deletion record||Moderate if within last few months|
|facebook.com/photos||Search all albums for missing one||Low over time as backups removed|
|Archive||Look for archived version of album||Moderate for albums deleted months ago|
|Data Recovery Tool||Use software to scan and restore album||High success finding albums Facebook can’t|
Losing photos and memories can be devastating. With the right tools and a bit of luck, you have a good chance of getting back that deleted Facebook album. Don’t give up hope until you’ve tried every trick to recover your lost data.