Online Registration System (ORS) is the official website residents of Utah use to register to vote. It allows eligible Utah citizens to easily and conveniently register to vote or update their voter registration information online.
Who can use ORS to register to vote in Utah?
To be eligible to register to vote in Utah using ORS, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have resided in Utah for at least the 30 days immediately before the election
- Be at least 18 years old on or before election day
- Not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated for commission of a felony
ORS provides a simple way for eligible Utah residents to register to vote or update their registration so they can participate in elections.
What information do I need to provide to register to vote in Utah using ORS?
To complete your voter registration application using ORS, you will need to provide:
- Your full legal name
- Your date of birth
- Your Utah residential address
- Your mailing address (if different from your residential address)
- Your Utah driver’s license number or Utah ID card number
- Your Social Security Number (required under Utah law if you have been issued one)
- Your choice of political party affiliation (if you want to affiliate with a party)
Providing your Utah driver’s license or ID card number and Social Security Number helps election officials prevent duplicate registrations and verify your identity.
How do I use ORS to register to vote or update my registration?
Using ORS to register or update your voter registration is simple:
- Go to https://secure.utah.gov/voterreg/login.html?selection=REGISTER
- Select whether you want to register to vote or update an existing registration
- Complete the online form by providing your personal information
- Read and accept the registration oath
- Submit your application
The whole process takes just a few minutes. You will be notified once your application has been processed and your registration is complete.
When is the deadline to register to vote using ORS?
For most elections in Utah, the deadline to register to vote is 30 days before the date of the election. However, here are some key registration deadlines:
|30 days before the primary election
|30 days before the general election
|Municipal primary election
|30 days before the municipal primary election
|Municipal general election
|30 days before the municipal general election
|Depends on when special election is called
As long as you register online using ORS before the deadline, you will be eligible to vote in that election.
Can I register on election day using ORS?
No, Utah does not allow registration on election day. The online registration deadline through ORS is 30 days before any election. You must register before the deadline to participate.
What happens after I submit my ORS registration application?
Here’s what you can expect after submitting your registration application through ORS:
- You will receive an email confirming your application was received.
- Your county clerk will review your application to verify your eligibility.
- Once approved, you will be mailed a voter registration card within 2-3 weeks as official confirmation.
- Check your registration status online using the ORS Voter Registration Lookup to verify you are registered.
- Update your address or other details through ORS if you move or have a name change.
That’s all there is to it! ORS makes registering easy so you can make your voice heard by voting in Utah.
Can I register with a political party using ORS?
Yes, when you fill out the ORS application, you have the option to register with a political party recognized in Utah. The available party options are:
- Constitution Party of Utah
- Democratic Party
- Green Party of Utah
- Independent American Party
- Libertarian Party of Utah
- Republican Party
- United Utah Party
You can also choose to register as “unaffiliated” if you do not want to join a party. Party affiliation allows you to participate in that party’s primary election.
Can I update my voter registration with ORS?
Yes, if you are already registered to vote in Utah, you can use ORS to conveniently update your:
- Residential or mailing address
- Political party affiliation
It’s important to update your registration if you move or have a name change, so your information is current. Updated 30 days before an election, your changes can take effect for that election.
How do I know if I’m already registered to vote in Utah?
You can check your voter registration status using the ORS Voter Registration Lookup:
- Go to https://secure.utah.gov/voterreg/search.html
- Enter your details like name, DOB, SSN to search
- View your registration information and status
This lookup allows you to conveniently check if you are already registered before filling out the registration form again.
Can I cancel my voter registration in Utah with ORS?
Yes, if you want to withdraw your voter registration in Utah, you can cancel it using ORS. Here’s how:
- Access your voter registration record through the ORS Voter Registration Lookup
- Select the “Cancel My Registration” button
- Confirm that you want to cancel your Utah voter registration
Cancelling through ORS is typically faster than mailing a cancellation form. Your registration will be cancelled within 5-7 business days.
What ID do I need for voting as an ORS registered voter?
When voting in person in Utah, you must present valid ID such as:
- Valid Utah driver license or ID card
- Valid concealed weapon permit
- Valid US passport
- Valid tribal ID card
If you registered using ORS, your signed registration form counts as valid ID when voting for the first time. Your driver license number or SSN verifies your identity.
Can I register through ORS if I don’t have a Utah driver’s license?
Yes, you can still use ORS to register even if you don’t have a Utah driver’s license. The ORS form allows you to provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number instead. You may need to show an accepted alternative ID when you vote.
Is my information secure when I use ORS?
Yes, ORS uses industry-standard encryption to keep your personal information secure as it is transmitted and stored. Only authorized election officials have access to the system. Your identity is verified through your drivers license or SSN.
What language options does ORS provide?
ORS is currently only available in English, so you need to be able to read and complete the form in English to register online. If you need assistance in another language, you can register in person through a county clerk’s office.
Can I register on ORS from my mobile device?
Yes, ORS is mobile-friendly, so you can conveniently register from your smartphone or tablet. Just open the ORS website in your device’s browser to access the full registration form.
Does ORS save my information if I can’t complete the process?
Unfortunately, ORS does not currently save partial registration information. If you are unable to complete the process in one session, you will need to start over and fill out the form again from the beginning.
What if I make a mistake on my ORS registration form?
If you realize you made a mistake after submitting your ORS registration, you can update your information through the system. Just log back in and update fields like your address or party affiliation. Be sure to update before the registration deadline.
Can homeless citizens of Utah use ORS to register to vote?
Yes, even if you do not have a permanent Utah residence, you can still use ORS to register to vote by listing a shelter, park, or other public place as your residential address. You also have the mailing address option.
Online voter registration through ORS makes participating in Utah elections incredibly convenient. As long as you are eligible and submit before the deadline, you can easily register or update your information from your home computer or mobile device in just minutes. Before you vote, verify your registration status through the ORS portal. If you have any issues with the system, you can still register in person through your county clerk’s office. Get started with ORS today!