Water damage is one of the most common issues that can affect iPhones. If your iPhone 8 has been exposed to water, you may be wondering how much it will cost to fix any resulting damage. In this comprehensive guide, we will look at the typical repair costs for an iPhone 8 with water damage and the factors that influence the price.
What Causes Water Damage on an iPhone 8?
There are a few common ways that water can damage an iPhone 8:
- Dropping the phone in water – This includes dropping it in the bath, a pool, or any other body of water.
- Getting caught in heavy rain – If your phone gets soaked in a rainstorm, water can seep into the ports and openings.
- Spills – Accidentally spilling a drink on your phone can allow liquid to get inside.
- Condensation – Condensation from temperature changes can build up inside the phone and cause corrosion.
When liquid gets inside an iPhone 8, it can cause short circuits, corrosion, and other issues with the internal components. The severity of the damage depends on factors like how long the phone was exposed to water and how quickly it was dried off and treated after getting wet.
How Much Does Basic Water Damage Repair Cost for an iPhone 8?
If your iPhone 8 only has minor water damage, such as condensation inside the camera lens or a partially non-functioning speaker, you may be able to get it repaired for $50 to $70. This typically includes:
- Opening up the phone and cleaning out any corrosion
- Replacing any damaged water indicators/sensors
- Testing and replacing any malfunctioning components like the speaker or microphone
- Cleaning out the charging port and headphone jack
Basic water damage repairs like this can often be completed in an hour or two. It’s a relatively affordable fix as long as the internal components did not get too badly damaged.
Average Cost for Extensive Water Damage Repair
If your iPhone 8 took a bigger soaking and has more significant internal water damage, the repair cost goes up. On average, extensive water damage repairs on an iPhone 8 cost $200 to $350. This covers:
- Complete disassembly of the device
- Thorough cleaning and drying of all components
- Replacement of any corroded or shorted out parts like the logic board, battery, or SIM card reader
- Testing of all functions like the touchscreen, WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular data
- Reassembly and waterproofing treatments
Extensive repairs like this can take several hours to complete and require replacement of multiple internal components. The cost varies based on exactly which parts need to be swapped out.
Cost if Motherboard Needs Replacement
One of the most expensive iPhone 8 water damage repairs is when the main logic board or motherboard needs to be replaced. This is often required if the phone was submerged in water or took an extended soaking.
Replacing an iPhone 8 motherboard costs $150 to $300 for the part alone. With labor, expect to pay $250 to $450 for full motherboard replacement service after water damage.
Other Common iPhone 8 Water Damage Repair Costs
In addition to the main logic board, here are some other common iPhone 8 components that may need to be replaced after water exposure and their typical repair costs:
|Repair Cost with Labor
|$30-$50 per speaker
Factors That Increase Water Damage Repair Costs
In addition to the extent of the damage, here are some other factors that can raise the cost of repairing an iPhone 8 with water damage:
- Time without treatment – The longer water is allowed to sit inside the phone, the more corrosion occurs.
- Powering on wet device – Turning on a wet iPhone can short circuit and fry components.
- Saltwater or chemical exposure – These liquids can cause more rapid corrosion than freshwater.
- Rust or mineral deposits – If corrosion is allowed to set in, it’s harder to clean.
- Difficult disassembly – Newer iPhone designs can be harder to take apart and put back together.
Taking quick action to dry out and repair a water damaged iPhone 8 can help contain costs before severe issues set in.
Cost to Replace an iPhone 8 After Water Damage
In some cases, the total cost of repairs may approach or exceed the replacement cost of getting a whole new iPhone 8. Used/refurbished iPhone 8 devices in good condition typically cost $150 to $300.
Buying a brand new replacement iPhone 8 ranges from $449 for a 64GB version up to $599 for a 256GB model. These are the full retail costs without a service contract.
If the water damage to your iPhone 8 is extensive enough that several components need to be replaced, you may want to explore replacement options vs spending $300+ on repairs.
Professional Water Damage Repair Options for iPhone 8
Third-party electronics repair shops and mobile device repair services like CPR Cell Phone Repair are great options for getting professional water damage repairs done on an iPhone 8. Benefits include:
- Experienced technicians familiar with water damage issues and proper repair procedures.
- Often lower prices than Apple and carrier repairs.
- Faster turnaround times in most cases.
- Quality parts and workmanship.
- Repair warranties against defects.
An established repair shop should offer a free diagnostic exam to accurately quote your cost of repair based on the iPhone 8’s specific damage.
Apple Official Water Damage Repair
You can also take your damaged iPhone 8 to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for official water damage repairs. Apple quotes iPhone 8 water damage fixes starting at $249 plus tax without AppleCare+ coverage.
Benefits of Apple’s water damage service include:
- OEM Apple parts.
- Repairs by Apple certified technicians.
- Firmware and software updates.
- Seamless integration with iPhone warranty coverage.
The main downside is the higher cost compared to third-party repair shops. But if you want 100% genuine Apple service, taking your water damaged iPhone 8 to an Apple Store or AASP is a good option.
Preventing Water Damage on an iPhone 8
To help avoid costly water damage repairs, here are some tips to keep your iPhone 8 protected:
- Use a protective case and screen film.
- Keep the phone away from water whenever possible.
- Never charge a wet iPhone or use it underwater.
- Dry out any exposure immediately with rice or desiccant packs.
- Avoid exposing iPhone to steam, humidity, and extreme temperature changes.
- Carry your phone in a dry pocket or bag compartment.
A bit of precaution goes a long way towards preventing liquid damage issues with your iPhone 8 or any other smartphone for that matter.
The cost to repair an iPhone 8 with water damage can range from as little as $50 for minor issues up to $450 or more if extensive repairs like motherboard replacement are required. The exact price depends on factors like:
- How badly the internal components were exposed and damaged
- Which parts need to be replaced
- How quickly the phone was dried out and repaired
- Using Apple vs. third-party repair services
Severe water damage often requires replacing multiple iPhone 8 components, pushing costs higher. At a certain point, replacing the phone entirely may be more cost-effective than paying for lots of repairs.
With proper protective measures, you can help prevent water damage from happening to your iPhone 8 in the first place. But if your phone does take an unexpected soaking, make sure to dry it out immediately and get professional help assessing any needed repairs.