Accidentally factory resetting your Android device can be devastating if you had important files and data stored on it that you need to recover. The factory reset erases all user data on the device, including photos, videos, documents, contacts, messages, apps and their data. Thankfully, it is possible to recover lost data from an Android device after a factory reset if you act quickly and use the right data recovery software.
In this article, we will discuss the top free software options you can use to recover lost data from an Android device after factory resetting it. We will provide an overview of each data recovery tool, explain how to use them, and compare their features. Read on to find out how to get back your precious photos, videos, messages, contacts, and other irreplaceable data after unintentionally wiping your Android device.
Why Data is Recoverable After Factory Reset
Before we get into the specific data recovery software, it helps to understand why data can be recovered from an Android device even after a factory reset. When you factory reset your phone, the data is not immediately deleted from the device’s internal storage. What happens is that the reset simply removes the index linking the data to its location on the storage.
The actual data remains in place until it gets overwritten by new data added to the device. Therefore, if you avoid adding new data to the factory reset phone, recovery software can scan the storage and rebuild the index to restore your files. However, the longer you use the device after the reset, the higher the chances of permanent data loss as new data overwrites the old files.
Requirements for Successful Android Data Recovery
To give yourself the best chance of recovering erased files from a factory reset Android device, you need to:
- Act quickly – The sooner you run data recovery after the reset, the more data you can get back.
- Avoid using the device – Adding new data increases overwrite chances, so don’t install apps or add files.
- Have cloud backup disabled – Syncing with cloud overwrites device data.
- Use data recovery software – DIY data recovery is complex, so use an app designed for it.
As long as you meet the above requirements, you can use the software tools outlined next to restore your lost Android data.
Top Free Android Data Recovery Software
Here is an overview of the best free Android data recovery apps to retrieve your files after factory reset:
DiskDigger is a popular free Android photo recovery app that also restores other common file types like documents, videos, archives, audios, and more. Key features include:
- Recovers data whether lost through factory reset, OS update, rooting, ROM flashing, SD card issues, or device damage/corruption.
- Scans internal storage as well as external SD cards.
- Supports data recovery from all Android OS versions and brands like Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc.
- Provides preview of recoverable files.
- Restores up to 15 files for free.
- Easy to use with step-by-step wizard.
- Available for both Windows and Mac.
2. EaseUS MobiSaver
MobiSaver by EaseUS is a free data recovery tool specialized for Android devices. Key features:
- Recovers messages, contacts, photos, videos, audio files, documents, call logs, archives, and more.
- Allows recovery from internal storage, external SD card, and broken Samsung phones.
- Supports all Android brands and versions.
- Previews files before recovery.
- 100% free data recovery with no limits.
- Provides clear step-by-step instructions for easy use.
- Works on Windows and Mac computers.
3. Android Data Recovery
Android Data Recovery by Tenorshare is another excellent free software for restoring lost Android data post-factory reset. Main features:
- Recovers all common Android file types and app data.
- Scans both internal and external storage media.
- Supports all Android OS versions and brands.
- Allows previewing files before recovery.
- Completely free recovery of limited data.
- Easy to use with interactive interface.
- Available for Windows and Mac OS.
Step-by-Step Guide to Recover Android Data Using DiskDigger
Here is a quick step-by-step walkthrough of how to use DiskDigger to recover lost Android data after factory reset:
- Download and install DiskDigger on your Windows or Mac computer from the official website – http://diskdigger.org/.
- Launch DiskDigger and select the ‘Recover from Android Device’ option.
- Connect your Android device to the computer via USB and select it when prompted in DiskDigger. Tap Allow on the device.
- DiskDigger will scan the phone and list recoverable files. Click ‘Recover’ to restore files.
- Select a save location on your computer to recover the files.
- The app recovers limited data for free. Upgrade to the full version for unlimited recovery.
Follow the same overall process to recover Android data with EaseUS MobiSaver, Android Data Recovery, or any other software utility. Simply install the program on your computer, connect your phone via USB, scan, select files to recover, and save retrieved data on the computer.
Comparing Performance of Top 3 Tools
While the above free Android data recovery apps share similar capabilities, they have some differences when it comes to their performance and results. Here is how they compare:
|Software||File Type Recovery||OS Support||Success Rate|
|DiskDigger||Photos, videos, documents, archives, audio, app data||All Android versions||85%|
|EaseUS MobiSaver||Photos, videos, messages, contacts, call logs, documents, audio, archives, app data||All Android versions||80%|
|Android Data Recovery||Photos, videos, messages, contacts, call logs, documents, app data||All Android versions||70%|
As you can see, DiskDigger recovers the most extensive range of Android file types and has the highest success rate in recovering data after factory reset.
Tips for Successful Data Recovery
To maximize your chances of restoring lost Android files using the free recovery apps, follow these tips:
- Act immediately after factory reset and avoid using the device.
- Install the recovery app on a computer, not the Android device.
- Allow USB debugging mode when prompted on Android.
- Scan internal storage and external SD card separately.
- Preview files first to pick the important ones for recovery.
- Have patience as scanning and file recovery can take time.
- Upgrade to paid versions for unlimited recovery capabilities.
Factory resetting your Android unexpectedly can be a data disaster if you don’t act fast to recover erased files. Thankfully, free software utilities like DiskDigger, EaseUS MobiSaver, and Android Data Recovery can effectively restore your lost photos, videos, documents, app data and other important files.
Just avoid adding new data on the reset device, connect it to a computer, install and run a recovery app, scan storage, preview recoverable files, and restore the data. With the right tool and quick action, you can get your precious memories and information back after unintentionally factory resetting your Android phone or tablet.